A "Show Ready" Home
Friday Jun 29th, 2018Share
Have your home “show ready” at a moment’s notice!
When your home’s on the market, getting ready for showings can be a real challenge but it's even harder when you share your home with little ones!
The trick to selling a house with kids is to try and make it appeal to buyers who have children as well as those who don’t. Here are a few tips to help you prepare your home for show with kids in tow:
- Depersonalize - It's important that buyers are able to imagine themselves living in your home so clear the kids’ artwork off the fridge and take down photos, awards and mementos.
- Play Time's Over - Keep just one box of toys on hand and pack up the rest as too many toys look messy and make rooms appear smaller.
- Clean Your Room! - Pack up stuffed animals, books and trophies in the kids’ rooms. Any remaining items should be placed on shelves instead of the floor.
- Behind Closed Doors - Buyers can never get enough closet space so get rid of any clothes and shoes that are out-of-season or that your kids have outgrown.
- Time to Grow Up - Buyers should be able to visualize your playroom as their rec room so get rid of kid clutter like arts and crafts so it’ll appear large enough for their pool table.
- Curb Appeal - Don't leave toys, sidewalk chalk or bikes strewn outside your home as drive-by viewings can occur at any time.
- Ready to Go - Have a diaper bag that’s ready with everything you need in case you have to make a quick getaway for a last minute showing.
Selling your home is a great opportunity to declutter and by doing it now, you’ll have less to pack when it comes time to move. Showings can happen in an instant so make sure you have a system in place that enables you to vacate in a matter of minutes. Although keeping everything perfectly staged with kids can be a challenge, it'll be well worth the effort!